Methodist Origins in Endon
Endon (map) is a large village about 5 miles south west of Leek.
J. W. Wardle writes : -
Methodism was introduced to Endon by Mr. John Heath of Gratton, when he took a farm on Endon Bank. As usual, there was opposition, but Mr. Heath had his house licensed for worship. From there it was removed to the house of his brother George, in the village. After two years it was removed to the house of Mr. Heath's father. where it remained until the chapel was built, in 1835.
Here the work of God prospered abundantly. In those days Miss G. Heath took a deep interest in all that pertained to the well-being of the society, and the building also. The brothers G. and J. Heath were both local preachers, and in their homes the visiting preachers were welcomed.
The new chapel was built in 1876, and cost £1,916. It owed much to Mr. R. Clemenson, who died on January 6th, 1893. His widow continued to entertain the preachers, and there the writer dined on the occasion of his second visit to Endon, and for tea went to the house of her brother, Mr. Richard Heath, in the house now occupied by the Rev. F. P. Argall. Amongst other workers were Mr. Peter Walker, formerly of Norton, and Mr. Wm. Heath, Local Preacher. To hear there three-last named men pray in the after-meeting on a Sunday evening was a benediction.
The centenary of our work here was celebrated on September 12th, 1935.
THESE PAGES ARE BEING WRITTEN.
PLEASE LOOK AGAIN
Copyright position Home Top